In response to this post:
1. Do you think that Khadijah's comments about her teacher, that he "lives at home with his mom, eats fish sticks for dinner, and all he talks about is Star Wars" were appropriate? Explain.
I think that Khadjiah's comments about her teacher were inappropriate. Whether or not she used foul language, the purpose of her comment was to offend her teacher which I consider to be inappropriate. She should have respected that he was her teacher and treat him with respect.
2. What is your opinion on the suspension of these students? Was it reasonable for the school board to enforce such a punishment? Why or why not?
I think that the students deserved the suspension. A lot of youth don't realize that the teachers are just doing their jobs and that they deserve respect. By disrespecting the teacher, the students are taking advantage of their learning opportunity. It sounds like I'm just kissing up to the teachers but in reality, if I was a teacher I wouldn't want students to treat me like that either. Also, I think that it was reasonable for the school board to enforce such a punishment. Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of youth don't realize how it is sometimes not the teachers' fault. Youth often only think of themselves and how they should be treated instead of how others should be treated.
3. How do you feel about the reaction of the students - that they should be able to share their opinions freely? Is it okay to post this sort of thing on social media websites like Twitter?
I feel like the reaction from the students are predictable. They should have known that they're actions would result in a punishment like suspension. As much as I agree with freedom of speech; unless you truly don't know the results of your actions, sometimes you should keep opinions to yourself. I believe that it isn't ok to post this sort of thing on social media websites. Oftentimes people do not directly mention who their post is about which in that case, I think it's ok. People often do this to let out their anger and not get in trouble.
I agree with you. I think that the student shouldn't have made such horrible remarks about their teacher, even if the teacher deserved it. If there was a problem, the student could report it to the school administration, or discuss it with their parents or friends.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same. I think that the students deserved the suspension, because what they did is extremely wrong. Also, I feel like the girl's reaction is ridiculous because when she was talking to the news reporter in the video, it was as if she does not really care when she should have been so sorry and embarrassed of what she did.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you. Students, or anyone for that matter, shouldn't disrespect and make lies about someone, especially if that someone has authority over you. I don't agree with your statement about how it is okay if their post didn't have a direct mention. Like I said before, it is wrong to post rude comments even if it is anonymous.
ReplyDeleteI totally feel the same. Students in general should'nt make such disrespecting comments to the teachers and i think that the kids that got suspended deserved it because they need to learn the consequences and understand what they did wrong.
ReplyDeleteI really agree with your response. I do not think that the students had a right to insult the teacher and the kids that got suspended had it coming. I think that the teenagers that got in trouble should be ashamed of what they did and really did deserve the punishment that they received.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you! Youth don't really pay attention to what they say--or maybe they do, but they just don't care that they're disrespecting someone else.
ReplyDelete